Friday, June 11, 2010

And now I'm getting paid for it!

Something you probably already know about me is that I am writer. I feel like I was born to write. The seven years or so since I started having kids has been a break from writing and I have missed it terribly. Only I didn't know how much I missed it until I started doing it again! I lost confidence in my talent.

A few months ago I decided to give freelancing a try. I was shaky and nervous about it but I updated my resume (read: I have been home for the last six and a half years raising my children and growing my butt) and found some of my old writing samples and, with a prayer I sent it to our local newspaper's features editor. Turns out my ten-year old writing samples from college did not impress so I had to prove myself with an "audition" of sorts.

Ta da!! I guess I've still got it! Yesterday I was brought on board officially as a freelance writer! To quote my editor, "The pay is lousy" but I am now a professional writer! Todd and I talked about it and we both know I'm not doing for the money, but because this has been a life-long dream of mine! The most wonderful part is that I get to stay home with my kids but still feel fulfilled by having a career!

I wanted to share this with you, my friends and family because I know you will be happy for me! Hopefully I'll be able to post a link to my first feature on Sunday, June 20!

Love to you all!

Amanda Grossman-Scott (my freelancing name)

No comments:

Post a Comment